FOR THE GLAZE
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, drained
- 3 mint leaves, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE STEAKS
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ancho chili powder or red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 New York strip steaks, 10 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- To make the glaze, whisk together mustard, honey, horseradish and mint in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, combine black pepper, red pepper flakes and salt. Rub one side of each steak with the mixture.
- Place a medium ovenproof sauté pan over high heat, and heat oil until smoking. Place steaks in pan, rub-side down, and sear for 35 to 40 seconds. Salt the non-rub side while the steaks are searing. Turn steaks over, and place pan in oven until steaks are medium rare, 8 to 10 minutes, brushing with glaze during last 2 minutes. Remove steaks from oven, and brush again with glaze. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.