Serves: 6 to 8
Time: 1 hr 40 min
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 scallions, white and light green parts, finely chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock, heavy cream or milk
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, garlic, scallions, jalapeño, sage, salt and black pepper.
- In a separate bowl, stir together bread crumbs and stock, cream or milk. Let stand five minutes.
- Add pork, beef and soaked bread crumbs to egg mixture. Knead ingredients together until just combined. Press mixture evenly into an 8- or 9-inch loaf pan. Bake for 55 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the tomato paste and olive oil. After meatloaf has finished baking, brush top with glaze; sprinkle with pine nuts, if using. Bake 15 minutes more (glaze will be thick and a meat thermometer should read 160 degrees). Let meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.